Serves:4 ; Preparation Time: 20min
Alternanthera sessilis (Binomial name) which is known by a local name ” Ponnaganti koora” is a healthy leafy vegetable. This can be prepared as a curry combining with pulses or other greens.
The juice of this leafy vegetable is used as one of the ingredients in preparation of medicinal hair oils.
- Ponnaganti leaves- 1 cup
- Tomato – 1No. large
- Cooked Red gram (Tuvar dal) – 1cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Green chillies – 2 No.s
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt for taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan, add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, green chillies. Let it splutter.
- Add tomato pieces and and 1 teaspoon coriander powder. Stir it for 2 mins.
- Put washed ponnaganti leaves and 1 cup water. Cook it well for 7-8 mins till bubbles are visible.
- Add cooked tuvar dal and mix well. Water can be added if required.
- Add salt and ½ teaspoon red chilli podwer and mix well. Cook it on a high flame for 2 mins and turn off.
Onions and garlic cloves can also be be added if preferred.
Fresh Ponnaganti dal is ready to serve. It can be served with rotis/ hot rice.