Serves: 2; Preparation Time: 15 min
“Arancini mozzarella balls” is a very interesting recipe prepared with cooked rice & mozzarella cheese. Arancinis were originally from Sicily and they resemble a small-sized orange. Arancini would be a great idea to make use of leftover rice. Rolling the balls on breadcrumbs would make it crispy and the texture blooms out well.
The style & ingredients differ from region to region. My version of “Arancini mozzarella balls” include the following ingredients:
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter – 1 teaspoon
- Mozzarella cheese (grated) – 1 cup
- Cornflour – 1/2 cup
- Bread crumbs – 1/2 cup
- Salt for taste
- Take a mixing bowl, add 1 cup cooked rice, 1 teaspoon butter, salt as per requirement and 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder. Mix well and mash them completely until it becomes soft as a dough (The rice granules must not be clearly visible).
- Divide the mixture into a few equal portions. Take a portion of the mixture and flatten a little. Stuff a required amount of grated mozzarella cheese and then cover it up with the rice mixture. Roll it into small orange-shaped balls.
- Take a small bowl. Mix 1/2 cup of cornflour with water. Dip the prepared mozzarella rice balls one by one.
- Roll the dipped balls on bread crumbs and keep them ready for frying.
- NOTE: The balls can either be deep-fried in oil (OR) they can also be fried with little oil on a “Ebelskiver pan”(Paniyaram/ Ponganalu pan). In my procedure, I have used the Ebelskiver (ponganalu pan) pan.
- Heat the pan on a medium flame.
- Pour little oil into the hollow space and place the prepared balls. Sprinkle oil on the top as required. Allow it to cook on a low flame.
- Keep rotating the balls in order to roast them evenly.
- Once the balls are cooked well and turn to golden orange/ brown in colour, take them onto a tissue paper.
- Serve the “Arancini Mozzarella Balls” with any preferred sauce like tangy tomato ketchup, mayonnaise, honey mustard sauce, etc.