Serves:2; Preparation Time:15 min
Soups always are given a top priority in any meal courses, either it be a lunch or dinner. As any soup could be prepared in less than 10-15 min, every one of us prefer to make a start with it.
Well…… here’s a situation where we tend to order soups while we are out at a restaurant:
We all are well-known of the fact that, chefs take a while in preparing the main course that we ordered. I don’t know whether it is some kind of business tactics ;-P, we feel more tempted by seeing the menu card/ booklet and we finally end up ordering soups as well as starters, just to kill the time. 🙂 The same thing happened with me. Usually in case of a vegetarian like me, get to decide between a few : tomato soup / corn soup / vegetable soup , luckily the restaurant we visited had one more mind-blowing veg soup option and that was : “A creamy greenish-white fresh asparagus soup”. Without any further thought I ordered it.
I was really satisfied with the flawless taste of onions and asparagus in the soup.
The restaurant style asparagus soup drove me , and I couldn’t just stop from trying it.
Have a look :
My style of creamy asparagus soup.
The onions , peppercorns & asparagus tasted amazing and the texture was an added charm to the thick creamy soup.
- Asparagus cut into small pieces – 1 large cup / 15 no. for tiny asparagus / 5-6 No. in case of big ones
- Red onions chopped – 1 cup
- Peppercorns crushed – 2 table-spoon
- Butter – 1/2 cup / 3 small cubes.
- Cornflour – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – as per taste.
Sounds simple right??? Yes of course it is….Let’s go ahead with preparation.
There are many varieties of this vitamin filled spring vegetable ; Asparagus. You may find very big ones , sometimes tiny little asparagus are also available at the store. I bought the tiny ones. As it was the first time I was having asparagus in my pantry, was a bit hesitant of where to start, whether it needs to be boiled first or could it be used directly. I googled and found out about it. Details are explained in the procedure below:
- Heat 3 cubes / equivalent amount of butter in a pan. Remember to reduce the flame to medium.
- As soon as the butter melts, add 1/2 table-spoon freshly crushed peppercorns. One thing to note: Please do not use ready-made pepper powder, as the exact taste cannot be targeted with it. Use only freshly crushed peppercorns). Sauté it for 1-2 min.
- Add chopped onions & asparagus pieces. Sauté for 4-5 min until the onions turn light brown. Meanwhile prepare cornflour stock i.e, take a bowl, add 1/2 cup cornflour and 1 cup water. Mix it quickly to avoid lump formations.
- Okay let’s get back to the onions and asparagus mixture. Once the onions start turning brown, add the cornflour stock. Mix well.
(NOTE: Instead of using simple cornflour stock, you can use a vegetable stock that also adds up to the richness of the soup.)
- Allow the soup to boil for 5-6 min. If you have a hand blender use it to blend in a way to get desired thick creamy soup like consistency.
In case of a Mixie/ blender : Once the soup boils ( after adding the cornflour stock) , cool it completely under a fan for about 10 min. Only then the mixture is ready to go into the mixie / plugged blender. Blend it to a soft creamy consistency .
- The soup is now ready to serve. Top it with the crushed peppercorns & serve hot.
- Also fresh cream could be added on top. I have not added in my version, as it was originally very creamy.
Made the soup twice : Second time it was more perfect in texture as well as in taste.