Serves: 2 ; Preparation Time: 25min
Have you got bored with regular potato fries? I can suggest an exceptional form of potato snack, in fact a healthy one that is filled with a high iron content of that of spinach and lot more ingredients added to it. Every dark leafy vegetable is rich in iron that boosts up the red blood cells, successively increasing the hemoglobin production. I think this a quite convincing benefit that drives us follow a standard leafy vegetable routine.
Surprise your guests with this delicious Baked potatoes. This certainly is a quick appetizer / snack ; saves your time and in return you might even receive compliments as potato is everyone’s favorite. Hey …do not forget to save few pieces for yourself, else you would be seeing an empty plate within seconds. ;-P. I have a small story here, how I got the idea of potato & spinach. On a casual dinner, me and my husband wanted to taste the Arab or Turkish Cuisine and stepped into a Turkish restaurant nearby. We were new to the names, clarified it with the staff and then decided to order starter, sides and one main course. The starter/ appetizer was called “Armut Patates” – potatoes stuffed with spinach and baked, garlic bread as a side and a Falafel shawarma in main course.
The potato dish was so scrumptious that I was deliberately waiting to give a trial at home (though I made my version). check it out:
Be it any cuisine, I have an insatiable appetite for potato dishes. Of all the potato recipes I have tried so far, this one ( baked potatoes with spinach) stands first on my potato dish list.
- Potato boiled – 4 No.s (medium sized)
- Spinach blanched – 1 cup
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup or 1 No. (small)
- Cheese ( cheddar or mozzarella) grated – 1/2 cup
- Black Pepper crushed – 1 teaspoon
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Salt – as per taste.
- Olive oil – as required
- Peel off the potatoes and boil. Boil the potatoes until they are 80% cooked.
- Meanwhile take a mixing bowl to prepare stuffing. Add blanched spinach leaves, chopped onion, crush peppercorns and salt as per requirement. Mix them gently, drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil and toss it until just combined. Wait for the potatoes to be cooked.
- Once the potatoes are done, take each one and cut horizontally. Scoop off the middle portion of the potato to make it like a small cup/bowl. Fill the spinach stuffing.
- When the filling is ready, roll them over a bed of bread crumbs. You can even roast the bread crumbs just before rolling the stuffed potatoes.
- The potato cups are ready to be baked. Bake them in the oven at 200 deg for 10 min first. Then pullout the baking tray and add grated cheese on the potato cups. Bake again for 5-8 min. The oven temperatures and times might vary for different ovens. Keep monitoring and turn off the oven knob once the potato cups turn brown.
- Baked potatoes with spinach is ready to serve. Serve them hot with white sauce, ketchup, thousand island sauce or mustard.
The baked potatoes are yummy when had with any spicy sauce. I like a little Indian twist of flavors so I had it with coriander chutney/ sauce. Coriander sauce is made with fresh coriander leaves, cumin powder, dry mango powder, green chili, salt and chat masala. 😃