Serves : 2 ; Preparation Time : 8 min
Bengal gram chaat is popularly known as “Chana Jor Garam”(Indian Name). It is prepared with Bengal gram (Kala chana), chopped tomatoes & onions and other spices. The hot “Chana jor garam” can be enjoyed especially on cold rainy days as it is spicy.
In India, “Chana Jor Garam” is usually available at the entrance of any beach. The snack is sold in a conical shaped paper sheets with lemon juice squeezed on the top of chaat. People visiting beaches during evenings, have this indian snack sitting on sands of the beach. It is a highly preferred eve-snack and the most favourite street snack of many people.
- Bengal gram (Kala chana) soaked for 4 hrs – 1 large cup
- Tomato chopped – 1/2 cup (or) 1 No.
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup (or) 1 No.
- Lemon juice – 2 teaspoons (or) 1/2 lemon
- Dry red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mixed spice powder (garam masala) – 1 teaspoon
- Dry Mango powder (Amchur) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt for taste
- Coriander leaves chopped – for garnishing
- Oil as required
- Cook 1 cup of soaked bengal gram(kala chana) in a pressure cooker until it is cooked well.
- Once the bengal gram is cooked, mash it slightly (Do not mash it much) using ladle so that it is evenly coated with the flavour of spices added in later stage.
- Heat oil in a pan, put 1 large cup of mashed bengal gram. Fry it for 2-3 min until it is crispy.
- Take the crispy bengal gram in a mixing bowl, add chopped 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped onions, 1 teaspoon dry red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon mixed spice powder (garam masala), Salt as per requirement. Mix well.
- Finally add 1/2 teaspoon of dry mango powder (Amchur).
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and squeeze 1/2 a lemon. The lemon juice makes the snack more tasty.
- Serve hot.
“Bengal gram chaat (Chana Jor Garam)” can also be served in a conical paper sheet to get the feel of street food.