Serves : 2 ; Preparation Time : 10min
“Bread Upma” is something different from the routine recipes of bread. It has a mixture of spicy and tangy flavours. This Indian snack is not at all from all those time consuming recipes infact it has a quick and easy procedure. Bread upma can be prepared with any kind of bread such as milk bread, wheat bread, wholemeal bread, french bread,etc. Bread upma brings out the authentic flavours of south cuisine.
- Bread pieces (any kind of bread) – 1 large cup
- Tomato chopped – 1/2 cup
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
- Heat oil in a pan, on a medium flame. Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon chopped green chilli, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder and salt as per taste. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped tomato, 1/2 cup chopped onion. Mix well and saute for 2 min on a high flame.
- Once the onions turn light brown colour, add 1 cup bread pieces and mix well. Turn off the flame immediately. (Do not over-cook the bread).
- Take the bread upma in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
While serving bread upma, sprinkle little dry mango powder on it (or) even a spoon of lemon juice can be added to give an extra effect for upma.