Serves: 2; Preparation Time: 30min
Broccoli sticks :
The day started with a pleasant weather. Evening grew even more amazing with thunderstorms & lightning as if the clouds were roaring. As expected, gradually the rain picked up its pace.
Now what……! You must have caught my crave…??? yes…you are absolutely right !! it was time for some hot crispy & crunchy snack. Always I have tried some fried snacks with potato, it became a routine. Few green broccoli were blooming like blossoms, which I picked up to make an interesting cheesy snack “Broccoli Sticks”.
Take a look of the outcome first. Am sure you would give a try!!
You must be eagerly checking for the method. So, here’s the list of ingredients :
- Broccoli – 1 large cup of florets (1 medium-sized broccoli)
- Onions chopped – 1 cup
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Cheddar & Mozzarella cheese grated – 1 cup
- Corn flour / rice flour – 1 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs (optional) – 1 cup
Have you got all the ingredients?? Assuming “yes” here I proceed with the method:
- Initially, heat a bowl of water on a medium flame. Meanwhile, wash broccoli florets in cold water and add them to the boiling water. Allow it to boil, until it is cooked well. Once this is done, drain the extra water out of broccoli florets completely. Smash the florets and then if more water oozes, drain it off.
- To the florets, now add the remaining ingredients including grated cheese and mix well. Add more rice flour/ cornflour if needed. Form a semi-dough out of it. The consistency must allow you to make stick shapes out of it.
- Now that the semi-dough is ready, make stick shapes out of it. In my recipe, I have not used breadcrumbs. But if you wish to, roll the broccoli sticks on a plate of breadcrumbs.
- The sticks are now ready to go into oven. (Alternatively you can make it stove: Toast the sticks on both the sides, on a non-stick pan.)
- Place the prepared sticks either on a grill plate / tray that goes into oven. Bake it on both sides for about 10min on each side.
- After 20min, the golden crisp “Broccoli Sticks” would be ready to serve.
This is an evergreen 🙂 snack. The cheese just melted in the mouth while having it. The weather was also supportive.
The golden crisp layer was like a feast for me. haha…I forgot to mention one thing, be cautious if you are using stove. The cheese might get stuck onto the pan due to over heat. So, roast the sticks on a medium-low flame only on a non-stick pan, to get perfect sticks.
I served the broccoli sticks with a tangy tomato ketchup & mayyonnaise. And to the finishing touch, had hot cappuccino.:-P
Another option I would love to add is :
Try this recipe with cauliflower in place of broccoli. That too would serve a wonderful snack.