Serves: 3 ; Preparation Time: 30 min
Eggplant gravy has a famous Indian name “Baingan ka salan” that serves as a side-dish for all Indian breads like Roti / Naan / Paratha, etc. One of the ingredients used in Eggplant gravy is “sesame seeds” (small sized poppy seeds almost invisible), which has unique taste. It also helps improving memory power and in gaining strength. Sesame sweet known as “laddoo” can be made combining sesame seeds with jaggery powder and clarified butter (ghee).
Adding Sesame and Peanut powder makes “Baingan ka salan” rich and tastier.
- Small sized Eggplants (Brinjal) – 5-6 No.s
- Sesame seeds powder – 1 teaspoon
- Peanut Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies – 2 No.s
- Fenugreek seeds – a little (3-4 No.s)
- Chopped onion – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Mint leaves chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoon
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
- Fry the small sized eggplants until they turn brown (well-cooked) and keep aside.
- Heat the pan (without oil), add 1 teaspoon sesame powder, 1 teaspoon peanut powder, 1 teaspoon coconut powder. Roast it slightly for 1min on a medium flame and turn off the flame.
- Heat oil in a pan, add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2no.s dry red chillies, 1/2 cup chopped onion. Fry it for 2 min.
- Add 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, a pinch of turmeric powder and few fenugreek seeds. Saute it until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the mixed powder (sesame, peanut and coconut) and a little water. Mix well.
- Add 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 2 tablespoon yogurt(Curd), 1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves, 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves and salt as per requirement. Mix well and allow it to cook for 10-15 min on a low flame.
- Once the gravy is done, add fried eggplants and mix well. Serve hot.
Serve “Baingan ka Salan” gravy with any indian breads (Roti/prata / naan /etc) or Rice (Veg Biryani/ Pulao / Bagara Rice)
Add very few no. of fenugreek seeds.
(DO NOT add much fenugreek seeds as it might give a bitter taste to the gravy)