Serves : 2 ; Preparation Time : 10 min
Ladies finger is popularly known as “Okra”. In India, it is called as “Bhendi” (Hindi/Urdu word). It is a green coloured vegetable with small white seeds inside. Ladies fingers are tender vegetables which takes less time to cook. ladies finger’s unique properties tend to lower inflammation and is beneficial to heart. It also helps in preventing sun stroke and has many health advantages.
Ladies finger can be consumed in different ways. The best method is to fry and eat as a side dish with Roti (Chapatti)/ Rice.
Before cutting ladies finger, wash it in cold water and pat it dry completely, so that it does not appear sticky.
- Ladies Finger (Okra / Bhendi) cut length-wise – 1 large cup /(1 Kg okra)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cornflour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Take a mixing bowl, add the ladies finger (Cut into two halves and then slit length-wise), 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon dry red chilli powder, 1/2 cup cornflour, salt as per taste. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying, on a medium flame.
- Once the oil is ready to fry, add the ladies finger pieces (mixed with other ingredients), turn by turn and deep fry them until the turn golden brown.
- Take the pieces onto a tissue paper to drain excess oil. Okra fry is now crispy and ready to serve.
- Serve hot with Rotis/ Rice. It can also be had as a evening snack.