Serves: 2 ; Preparation Time : 30 min
Sweet Potato cups Preparation Time: 20 min
Bell pepper stuffing Preparation Time: 10 min
Potatoes have been largely consumed by the people since years; also it is a very tasty vegetable as it could be added with any other ingredient / vegetable.
As far as snacks are concerned, I have tasted and made a lot of salt potato fried snacks. This time, I had something different in my mind and just wanted to give a try. Took up a challenge of making Purple Sweet Potato cups (Potato bouquet) and then stuffing it with roasted bell peppers & cheese.
Oh my god !! Potato cups??? …….Don’t panic…it might sound a bit tricky. While making it, I also wondered whether I’ve taken up a hard task, later I realised that there’s no harm in trying with a positive hope of outcome. I tried the cups with great patience and got perfect results, it looked just amazing. Oops….take a look here..
And after seeing this, I was very happy and more energetic to carry on with the stuffing part. Here’s the final result:
Yeah absolutely.. these were the fruits of my patience. (It really needs patience)
Introducing the ingredients :
Sweet Potato cups:
- Purple sweet potato grated into medium-thin slices – 1 cup ( 3-4 No. of potatoes)
- Rice flour – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – for deep fry
- Red bell pepper cut into small cubes – 1/2 cup
- Yellow bell pepper cut into small cubes – 1/2 cup
- Cheddar / Mozzarella / blue cheese – 1 cup
- Red chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Basil powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoon
One important note: For making cups, you will need a stainless steel tea filter.
- Take a mixing bowl to prepare the stuffing. Add red & yellow bell peppers, chilli flakes, basil powder, salt. Mix well.Extra virgin Olive oil boosts the taste, but if that is not available, you can add any olive oil. Add olive oil, toss it well and keep aside. In the mean time, you can start off with the sweet potato cups.
- Take a bowl, grate the purple sweet potatoes. Use a grater with medium-sized hole, so that you can make the cups without much stress. Now, you might get few doubts, like “which ingredient would make the cups look perfect?” or, “How to make the thin sweet potato slices stick together in the form of a cup?”, Here are your answers:
- Add little rice flour & salt to get crispy cups to the slices. Mix well. The mixture is now ready.
- Take a round stainless steel tea filter with a handle. Arrange the “sweet potato slices mixture” inside the tea filter, such as it takes the shape of the tea filter.
- Choose a pan in which you can immerse the tea filter base completely, in order to fry the cups evenly. Heat oil in a pan, on a medium flame.
- Immerse the tea filter base with potato slices placed in it. Fry the cups by pouring the hot oil onto the cups, so that it gets cooked & fried. Once done, slowly detach it from the filter using a spoon / knife. Do not do in haste, as you may end up with broken cups.
- Similarly make all the remaining cups.
- Once all the cups are ready, fill the prepared bell pepper stuffing into the cups. Add any cheese of your choice on top of the stuffing. Bake them for 5-8 min in the oven to melt the cheese.
- You will also be surprised just like me, to see the colourful yet tasteful crispy Sweet potato cups.
The sight of Potato cups with colourful bell pepper filling reminded me of a wonderful flower bouquet. So, I named it as “Potato Bouquet”.