Serves: 4 ; Preparation time: 45min
The surprising combinations used in layers works extremely well. The coconut milk flavour is difficult to resist.
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables (Carrots, Red and Yellow bell peppers/capsicum, Beans) – 1 cup
- Finely chopped Onions – ½ cup
- Finely chopped green chillies – 2No.s
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tbsp
- Pudina (Mint leaves) – ½ cup
- Schezwan masala – 3 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Ginger paste – ½ tbsp
- Vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Salt for taste
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Wash the basmati rice well before cooking. Take 2 cups of basmati rice with 1 cup of coconut milk and 2 cups of water. Cook it in a pressure cooker.
- Cut the vegetables into small pieces.
Layer 1: (White Layer)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ½ tbsp cumin seeds, ½ tbsp vinegar, green chillies, chopped garlic cloves, ½ tbsp ginger paste. Stir it 1 min.
- Add chopped onions, ½ tbsp pepper powder and sauté it for 1 min.
- Add all mixed vegetables (Carrots, Red and Yellow bell peppers/capsicum, Beans) and fry until they are cooked well.
- Add salt as required and take into a bowl.
- Take the cooked rice and divide into 3 portions.
- Take first portion of cooked rice and mix well with already fried vegetables mentioned above.
- Layer 1 is done.
Layer 2: (Red Layer)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, chopped onions and stir it for a min.
- Add 3 tbsps Schezwan masala and ½ cup water.
- Add tomato ketchup and salt. Stir it well. It gives a tangy look when it is done.
- Red food colour can be added for a blemishing look. (optional)
- Take this tangy semi-liquid in a bowl and mix with second portion of cooked rice.
- Second layer is ready.
Layer 3: (Green Layer)
- Grind pudina leaves and green chillies into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the green paste and stir it for 2 min.
- Add salt and take in a bowl.
- Take third portion of cooked rice and mix it with the green paste.
- Third Layer is done.
Arranging the layers:
- Take a serving bowl and put the green layered rice and flatten it by pressing inside the bowl.
- Put the Red layered rice on top of green layer and flatten it.
- Finally add the white layer on top of red layer and garnish it with coriander leaves.
3 Layered Rangeen rice is ready to serve. 🙂
It can be served with Onion-Raitha.