Serves : 2 ; Preparation Time : 15 min
Sindhi kadhi is a semi-thick side dish, prepared with any preferred combination of vegetables, combined with chickpea flour. Veg fritters can also be added to the gravy. The dish is popular in North India, and people around the northern states have their own formula of preparing ” Sindhi Kadhi”. The mixture of yogurt & chickpea flour(gram flour/ besan), gives an impressive texture to the dish. Furthermore, garnishing with coriander leaves would inflate the presentation. The level of taste is classified based on the vegetables used. Here, in my recipe, Ladies finger is used as a dominant ingredient that gives a perfect desirable flavour.
- Ladies finger (cut into 2 inch)- 7-8 No.s
- Tomatoes chopped- 1 No. large
- Potato (cubes boiled) – 1 No. large
- Ginger chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt(Optional)- 2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind paste – 1 teaspoon
- Gram flour (Chickpea flour/ besan) – 1 cup
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Fenugreek seeds – 3-4 no.s
- Curry leaves – 5-6 No.s
- Salt for taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, on a medium flame.
- Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Allow it to splutter.
- Add 1 cup gram flour, 1/2 cup water and mix well without any lumps.
- Once it becomes a smooth paste, add 1 cup water and mix well.
- Add vegetables ( tomatoes, cut & fried ladies finger pieces, cut & boiled potato pieces). Mix well.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder , 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, 2 tablespoon yogurt (optional) and salt. Cover with a lid for 5-6 min.
- Add 1 teaspoon tamarind paste and mix well. Cook it for 2-3 min.
- Serve hot with rotis/ rice.