Serves : 2 ; Preparation Time : 15min
Fiber & Vitamin rich vegetable “ladies finger”, so called “Okra”(Asian name) is definitely a favorite veggie of everyone. It also has a number of medical advantages. Many people are seen consuming the veg-stock prepared with ladies finger (soaked in the water overnight), to reduce sugar levels in the body. Ladies finger is available throughout the year and also, it is inexpensive.
Okra / bhindi (ladies finger) can be used in preparing liquid side dishes such as Bhindi kadi, Bhindi raitha, Bhindi gravy which is made along with other vegetables, and the list goes on. Out of all, the most interesting recipe would be, the “Stuffed okra“which has got a combination of sweet and sour flavours.The best standard of taste can be achieved only with fresh, tender and small okras.
- Ladies finger (Okra/ bhindi) – 1/2 kg
- Mixed spice powder (garam masala)- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves chopped – 2 teaspoon
- Dry mango powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- salt as required
- Take the small and tender okras and cut the heads & tails. Slit each okra in the middle in-order to stuff the masala.
- Take a mixing bowl, add 1 teaspoon mixed spice (garam masala) powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, salt as required and little oil. Mix all the ingredients well, to make a paste.
- Stuff the prepared masala paste inside okras through the slit.
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
- Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the stuffed okras. Fry them on a low flame until they are cooked well.
- Turn off the flame when the fresh green okras turn into beautiful golden brown shade.
- Take the “Stuffed okras” onto a serving bowl. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Generally the “Stuffed Okra” is served as a side-dish/ curry along with Rice/ Chapattis/ Naan /any Indian bread.