Serves : 3 ; Preparation Time : 15min
Sweet Pongal is a high rated traditional South Indian dish prepared during festivals.Variants in pongal include Sweet pongal, Ginger-Pepper pongal, Tamarind pongal, etc. Pongal is prepared using clarified butter (ghee) which gives a perfect relishable aroma for the dish.
People generally have pongal for breakfast. Pongal is also offered as thanksgiving (prasadam) in temples. Sweet pongal is prepared with jaggery as a main ingredient. This dish is prepared by every South Indian on an auspicious Pongal/Sankrathi (The harvest) festival day.
- Powdered Jaggery – 2 cups
- Rice – 1 cup
- Split green gram (moong dal) – 1 cup
- Mixed dry fruits – 1 cup
- Cardamom (elaichi) – 2 no.s
- Clarified butter(ghee) – 6 to 7 teaspoons
- Cook 1 cup rice, 1 cup split green gram in a cooker by adding 4-5 cups of water, so that it is cooked well in a soft and smooth consistency.
- Heat 7 teaspoons of ghee in a pan, add 1 cup mixed dry fruits and 2 no.s cardamom. Stir it for 2 mins.
- Add 2 cups of powdered jaggery and 1 1/2 cup water. Stir it and let it boil until it becomes thick as sauce.
- Add the cooked rice & split green gram. Mix well so that the sweetness of jaggery is spread equally and serve hot.
Use black powdered jaggery which gives a nice brownish attractive shade for the Pongal.