Serves: 2 ; Preparation Time: 20min
koftas – Generally koftas are popular as minced lamb/meat balls. There are Veg-Koftas too, specially prepared for all Vegans throughout the world. These veg koftas are made of all chopped/grated veggies. Veg-koftas serves as a great side dish for all kinds of indian breads such as, naan, roti, kulcha, rumali roti, etc. Choosing vegetables for veg kofta gravy: koftas can be made with vegetables that can be consumed raw, such as grated carrots, grated cabbage, grated onions, beans, etc,. For Add-ons you can even use grated cottage cheese (Paneer), grated coconut, grated cheese.
Ingredients for koftas:
- Grated Veggies (Carrot, cabbage, onions) – 1 large cup
- Grated cottage cheese (Paneer) – 1/2 cup
- Beans – 1/2 cup
- Cornflour – 2 tablespoons
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Salt as required
- Oil for deep frying
- Take a mixing bowl , add all the grated veggies, 1/2 cup grated paneer, 1/2 cup beans. Add salt as per requirement and mix them well. If needed you can add a little wheat flour to knead well. Divide the into small portions and make balls.
- Take a bowl, add 2 tablespoons cornflour and 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
- Dip each of the balls into the cornflour liquid and roll them on bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry each balls till they change to dark brown colour.
- Take these perfect koftas on a tissue paper to drain excess oil.
Ingredients for Gravy:
- Tomato – 2 No.s
- Onions – 2 No.s
- Garlic cloves chopped- 3 No.s
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped Green chilli – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 2 teaspoons
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Salt as required
- Fresh cream – 2 teaspoons
- Take a blender, add tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves, turmeric powder, salt, chopped green chillies, garam masala and grind them to make paste.
- Heat oil in a pan , add the paste and let it cook for 6-8min. Then add grated coconut, frozen green peas and stir it for 2 min.
- Add the fried veg koftas and mix well.
- Finally add fresh cream/butter and serve hot with any indian bread.
Adding grated coconut for any gravy enhances the taste and adding fresh cream makes the gravy soft and delicious. Veg kofta curry can make a good combo with onion rice/ fried rice.